Thanks to all who helped with the UCLA Wind Ensemble Invitational! It was an inspiring day, and the band sounded spectacular! Next week we have our version of March Madness with an Orchestra festival on Wednesday, a Band & Orchestra concert on Thursday, the field trip to Disney Hall on Friday and the DAC drumline competition on Saturday…thew, I’m tired just thinking about it! We certainly hope families will join us for Thursday’s concert but know you are more than welcome to join us for the orchestra festival and drumline competition!
Sierra Vista Festival at Baldwin Park HS
The SCSBOA Orchestra Music Festival is next Wednesday, March 7th! Symphony Orchestra students, please review the information provided!
What students need to bring:
- Sack Lunch & Water: Once we arrive we will be busy until after the performance making it difficult for students to purchase lunch before we perform. I recommend students bring something to eat while waiting for the bus.
- Money for snacks: We will have a short break before departing so students can stop by the concession stand. They will be selling burgers, hot dogs, nachos, and snack at a reasonable price. There will also be an awards table where you may purchase SCSBOA medals, stickers, and patches.
- Concert Dress: I recommend coming to school wearing your concert clothes
- Boys: Black suit jacket, black slacks, long sleeve white button-down dress shirt, black dress shoes, & socks, long black tie
- Girls: Long black dress (no spaghetti straps or strapless), or black dress pants/skirt (below knees) with a white or black blouse/top
- Instrument & Music: We will not be renting a truck! We have enlisted parents to drive their vehicles to the festival Only the following instruments will be transported by car; all others will go on the bus!
- 3 Upright Basses
- 7 Cello
- Baritone & Tuba
Parents Driving & Transporting instruments: If you signed up to transport instruments, please meet us at the Colfax gate at 12:00 pm. The Bus will depart at 12:30 pm. Try and follow the buses. Buses and loading vehicles need to enter the school through Willow Ave. entrance on Badillo St. and unload in the parking area on the side of the gym. At 4:00, our clinic finishes and we load up instruments back into your car.
Call Time is Nutrition / Period 3 – All Symphony Orchestra students will set up in the music room for a full rehearsal during periods 3 & 4. This rehearsal will be part of the Middle School articulation presentation.
12:00pm – Load up paren vehicles
12:30pm – Bus departs NHHS
1:30pm – Arrive at Baldwin Park HS & unload
2:00pm – String section leader tune instruments
2:30pm – Enter Warm-up room
3:00pm – Performance
3:30pm – Sight Reading Clinic
4:00pm – Load up
4:30pm – Break
5:15 / 5:30pm – Bus departs from Baldwin Park HS
6:15 / 6:45pm – Bus returns to NHHS
7:00/7:30pm Estimated Dismissal time
Help transport instruments with your vehicle March 7th
Click here to download a flyer
March 10th • DAC Drumline Competition
Gardena High School
1301 W 182nd St, Gardena, CA 90248
8:15 am – Bus departs NHHS for Gardena HS
9:00 am – Arrive and prepare for solo performances
9:30 am – Student Solo performances: Click here for a schedule
1:09 pm – NHHS Drumline Performance
2:04 pm – Award Ceremony
3:00 pm – Bus departs Gardena HS
3:45 pm – Return to NHHS & Unload
4:15 / 4:30 pm – Estimated dismissal
- March 7 (Wednesday) SCSBOA Orchestra Festival at Baldwin Park H.S.
- March 8 (Thursday) Symphonic Band & Orchestra Concert
- March 9 (Friday) Field Trip to see the LA Philharmonic
- March 10 (Saturday) DAC Drumline Competition featuring student solo’s!
- March 17 (Saturday) Newbury Park HS Jazz Festival
- April 7 (Saturday) Roy Romer Orchestra Festival
- April 21 (Thursday) Chamber Music Concert
- April 28 (Saturday) Swing Night at CBS Studios