A big congrats to both Band & Orchestra for receiving Unanimous Superior ratings at the SCSBOA & LAUSD music festivals this past weekend! The groups sounded amazing and it was a great experience for everyone! Congratulations to student-teacher Ms. Elana Gitterman (AKA Ms. G) on her band & orchestra conducting debut. ALSO thanks to all our awesome parents who came out help with the festivals and support our program!
This Friday is our Spring Instrumental Music Concert on Friday followed by the Indoor Drumline’s first competition on Saturday. The drumline needs a parent volunteer to rent and drive a 26′ Uhaul truck to the competition in Littlerock. We leave early Saturday morning and need the truck Friday evening so we can load it after the concert. A link to sign up can be found below!
Saturday, March 14, Indoor Drumline WCPA Competition!
This year the Indoor Drumline will be competing in the WCPA circuit in Antelope Valley. The first competition is on March 14th, the second on March 28th, and the final one on May 2nd. We bring virtually every piece of percussion equipment so we need a super awesome parent to rent and drive a 26′ Uhaul truck to the competition! The first competition is in a week so if you can do it please sign up!
Friday, March 13 • Spring Instrumental Music Concert!
Our Spring Instrumental Music Concert is this Friday, March 13th at 7 pm in the Auditorium! The concert will feature our Symphony Orchestra, Symphonic Band & the Advanced Jazz Band Combo. Tickets are $5 at the door and free for all music alumni and middle school students (with student ID).
Concert Dress For Orchestra:
- Boys: Black suit jacket, white long-sleeve button-down dress shirt, black slacks, black dress shoes & socks, black long tie
- Girls: Long black dress (no spaghetti straps or strapless), or black dress pants/skirt (below knees please) with a white or black dress blouse/top • Please be classy!
Concert Dress For Band:
- Boys: White long sleeve button-down dress shirt, black slacks (dress pants), black dress shoes & socks, black long tie
- Girls: Long black dress (no spaghetti straps or strapless), or black dress pants/skirt (below knees please) with a white or black dress blouse/top
Saturday, March 21 • Newbury Park Jazz Festival
The Jazz Band will be performing in the Newbury Park High School Jazz Festival on March 21st. The event will feature the Francisco Torres Latin Jazz Band as well as clinics from Kenyon Carter, Jimmy Brandley, and Joey De Leon. Here is a tentative student schedule:
- 9:30 – Meet at Newbury Park High School
- 10:00 – Warm-up
- 10:30 – Performance
- 11:00 – Clinic with Francisco Torres
- 12:00 – Noon Concert featuring Francisco Torres, Adam Schroeder, Andy Langham, Benjamin Sheppard, Jimmy Branly, & Joey De Leon
- 1:00 – Lunch Break
- 2:00 – Clinic on Afro-Cuban Rhythms
- 3:30 – Improvisation 101 with Kenyon Carter
Parent Volunteer Needed for our Band Photo Project!
A NEW MUSIC ROOM IS IN THE WORKS!
We will be moving into a new interim music room this semester! As a result, we doing some serious spring cleaning. Unfortunately, there won’t be room on the walls for all our band & dance team pictures from the past 25 years. However, the plan is to digitize all the pictures and put together a photo album of everything. If there is a parent who has the time and knows how to get this done, please let me know! Any costs associated with the project can be covered by the music department.
Email Mr. Sharp if interested!
- March 13 – Spring Instrumental Music Concert in the NHHS Auditorium 7pm
- March 14 – WCPA Drumline Tournament at Littlerock HS times TBA (All Day)
- March 21 – Newbury Park Jazz Festival Times TBA (All Day)
- March 28 – WCPA Drumline Tournament at Eastside HS Times TBA (All Day)
- April 2 – Jazz Night at Vitellos 6pm show!
“What you do has a far greater impact than what you say.” – Stephen Covey
“Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care. ”
“A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it or not.” -Lori Deschene
“Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” -Suzy Kasseem